The Senior Human Resources Manager (SHRM) will be a key leader in the management of the HR function, ensuring business effectiveness and success via the full range of HR functional capabilities. Areas of focus for the SHRM will include talent sourcing and selection, associate relations (including union labor relations), management of the retiring associate process, conflict avoidance and resolution, organizational development, onboarding and retention, HR data accuracy and reporting, compensation, rewards, and recognition program development and administration, training program development and delivery, benefit management, organizational communications, and health and safety program support.
The SHRM will ensure that the interests of the HR function and local business are understood and aligned to effectively deliver on strategic business objectives, and will provide focus on developing an environment where each employee fully engages in the delivery of positive, sustainable results.
* Work with local leaders to identify and bridge talent gaps.
* Participate in the design of HR programs and processes for effective local implementation.
* Represent the interests and concerns of local leaders to internal and external stakeholders.
* Become a trusted advisor to all levels and functions of the organization on matters pertaining to the positive engagement of people (individually and organizationally).
The SHRM will function as the primary leader and liaison between the local business and union representatives, fostering amicable relations in support of business objectives, and will maintain a work environment in which employees understand, are comfortable with, and proactively access appropriate internal support for their interests and concerns.
* Serve as the primary point-of-contact for union representatives.
* Lead resolution of concerns and issues before reaching grievance-level. Manage and elevate issues to appropriate leadership levels as necessary. Accept grievances from the union and oversee the development of action and communication steps for resolution.
* Manage the process for open positions for bid within the site.
* Provide HR leadership in union meetings and negotiations.
* Support supervisors and associates with communications, training, and coaching on how to interpret and apply HR policies and procedures, especially in core areas of interest (job openings, time and attendance, performance evaluations/disciplinary action, pay and benefits, etc.).
* Build strong relationships with managers and associates to identify and present associate relations issues before they arise.
* Respond to and resolve complaints or conflicts through conducting investigations, and providing recommendations/resolutions to corrective action in accordance to company policy and within union guidelines.
* Support the development, maintenance, and communication of accurate position descriptions and career paths.
* Address and maintain data on areas of concern to enable systemic problem identification and resolution. This will include accelerating organization of outgoing knowledge base and managing risk from outgoing associates, improving onboarding of new and transferring talent to accelerate productivity, “management by walking around” all shifts, and exit interviews.
* Drive programs and activities such as annual benefits open enrollment communications, year-round wellness initiatives, recognition programs for length of service, military service, educational attainment, retirement, and birthdays, and picnics, breakfasts, holiday gifts, and charitable events.
* Support and advance health, safety, and workers’ compensation programs.
Talent Acquisition (non-union)
The SHRM will attract, select, and hire best talent through maintaining and improving processes to ensure integrity, government compliance, short time-to-fill, low cost, and positive experiences for candidates and the hiring team.
* Ensure that internal talent is identified and considered for appropriate openings.
* Confirm internal and external cost-effective plans are in place and properly implemented to deliver just-in-time, high quality results.
* Develop a talent pipeline for each hard to fill position.
* Identify and maintain strong relationships with government and private (agency) sources for top candidate referrals.
* Work with technical schools to develop and identify emerging talent.
* Partner with temporary placement agencies to ensure referrals and management of high quality placements.
* Administer skill assessments, interview prospects, participate in the selection, development, and presentation of offers, and manage the acceptance and new hire process.
* Benchmark positions to ensure external competitiveness and internal equity and affordability.
Organizational & Training Development/Delivery
The SHRM will work with leaders to ensure that new hires, and associates new to a position, are enabled with the skills, knowledge, and competencies to be successful. This includes an understanding of continuous improvement, values and ethics, safety, open door, roles and responsibilities, and essential policies and procedures.
* Assist with the development and maintenance of a “people skills” assessment and development plan for each team leader and supervisor, as well as potential successor candidates.
* Assist with the development and delivery of training programs in such areas as effective interviewing, conflict resolution, positive performance discussions, and other required people-skill areas.
HR Data Accuracy/Reporting
The SHRM will ensure that the HR system accurately reflects all employee transactions from hire to retire or termination, and will encourage and support associate and manager self-service where available.
* Work with managers to avoid timecard discrepancies such as time-off balances and leaves of absence and ensure alignment to time keeping policies.
* Ensure accurate and timely entry of HR data (hires, data changes, terminations, etc.) where self-service is not available.
* Assemble data and guarantee integrity for external government reports (unemployment, AAP, EEO-1, Vets 100, etc.) and internal reports (headcount, turnover, etc.).
* Guarantee that absence management tracking, reporting, and communications are in place and accurate.
The SHRM will possess demonstrated proficiency in the design and implementation of fundamental HR programs and processes to attract and develop talent, benchmark and manage pay planning, manage performance, manage third party claims and audits, and maintain positive relations with associates. Ideally, the SHRM will have been fully immersed in a union environment as an HR leader, and be well versed in organizational development and talent management. Additional qualifications include:
* BA/BS in business or a related field.
* A minimum of 10 years of HR generalist experience (at least 4 in a manufacturing environment) with a minimum of 4 years in an HR management role driving effective business results through HR programs. Experience with developing new and creative ways to attract top talent strongly preferred.
* Lean/Process Improvement certifications and/or proven use of continuous improvement tools (5S and value stream mapping, 5 Why’s, RACI, etc.) are preferred.
* Proficiency in designing and implementing effective organizational and change management.
* Proficiency with employment law, including but not limited to EEO/AAP, COBRA, FMLA, FLSA, HIPAA, unemployment, and workers. compensation. Familiarity with FCPA and SOX preferred.
* Intermediate MS Office expertise with emphasis on Excel and PowerPoint. Must be able to use these applications to drive, support, and communicate analyses and recommendations. Ability to use a full range of technology, including social media.
* Demonstrated ability to gain the confidence of and provide leadership to all levels of the organization.
* Demonstrated ability to accurately perform high volume, detailed work (including data quality review).
* Ability to participate in planning, influence decisions in writing and verbally, and speak persuasively one-on-one and to groups.
* Demonstrated problem-solving and data analysis skills, using both to support recommendations and improve actions.
* Strong process improvement and customer satisfaction skills.
* Ability to move safely in a manufacturing environment.
* Ability to travel domestically.
If you are interested in this position, please submit your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.