Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer, the Director of Human Resources (DHR) is responsible for the oversight of the full scope of human resources in all functional areas. Our client is seeking an experienced leader and human resources professional with appropriate industry experience, preferably in a high growth software start-up. This is a newly created position that will add tremendous value to the management team.
The DHR must be an energetic, forward thinking, and creative, with high ethical standards and an appropriate professional image. Comfortable leading change, the DHR will be a strategic planner with sound technical skills, analytical ability, good judgment, and strong operational focus, as well as a decisive individual who possesses a strategic focus and an operational, implementation, and detail oriented perspective.
An intelligent and articulate, well-organized, and self-directed team player, The DHR can relate to people at all levels of the organization. The DHR will be a good educator who is trustworthy, willing to share information and serve as a mentor, an excellent facilitator, and experienced in resolving conflicts between different parties in dispute. Roles and responsibilities include:
Consultation to Senior Management
* Provide consultation to management on human resources best practices in helping to develop a culture that enables employees to perform in accordance with the company’s mission and policies.
* Effectively plan, design, develop, train, and evaluate human resources related initiatives that support organizational strategic goals.
* Recommend employee relations practices necessary to establish a positive employer/employee relationship and promote a high level of employee morale and motivation.
* Provide up-to-date expertise on human resources best practices and legal obligations.
* Serve as a member of the senior management team.
Oversight of Performance Management
* Spearhead the performance review program, including the appropriateness of the current performance review process.
* Assess, develop, implement, and manage performance review process.
* Assist the executive committee in making recommendations for compensation, promotion, and performance bonus decisions based on annual corporate budgets and guidelines, as well as consistency between and within levels.
* Develop and implement performance review training for staff and management to deliver clear, honest, and legally compliant reviews.
Compensation and Benefits
* Establish wage and salary structure, pay policies, and employee benefit programs/services, and monitor for effectiveness and cost containments.
* Assist with annual staff budgeting and compensation/benefits benchmarking. Provide supporting data to senior management with recommendations, including external market compensation benchmarks and internal metrics.
* Oversee employee benefit program responsibilities by directing the administration of health, life, STD/LTD, COBRA and FMLA.
* Administer the company’s 401(k) and FSA plans and assure timely and accurate compliance reporting.
* Initiate and oversee the annual recommendation and selection process of benefit providers, balancing cost and employee satisfaction/retention.
* Develop and provide benefits orientation and other on-going benefits training.
* Oversee timely processing of payroll.
Employee Communication and Employee Engagement
* Evaluate company culture and provide recommendations on changes to accomplish company goals and objectives.
* Ensure proper and timely employee communication through various means, including senior management communication, town halls, and written communication.
* Foster an environment of engaged and motivated employees. Measure engagement and report to senior management on required changes.
* Create company strategic recruitment and selection plan.
* Strengthen company’s employment brand.
* Establish standard recruiting and placement practices and procedures.
* Develop onboarding and integration programs to expedite new employee productivity.
* Oversee interview and hiring process and interview executive level candidates.
Organizational Planning and Design
* Oversee organizational planning and design to evaluate structure, job design, and capacity forecasting throughout the company. Coordinate activities across division lines. Evaluate plans and changes to plans. Make recommendations to senior management.
* Direct process of organizational development to primarily addresses succession planning throughout the company. Coordinate activities across division lines. Evaluate plans and changes to plans. Make recommendations to senior management.
Training and Employee Development
* Develop and implement training programs to ensure proper employee development and skill progress.
* Conduct supervisor and staff employment practices training as necessary.
* Train, support, and guide managers by ensuring regular discussions take place regarding performance objectives, implementation of skill plans, and long-term career development of staff.
* Prepare and conduct human resources onboarding training for new hires and promotions.
* Ensure that all human resources training modules are accurate, current, and well presented.
Policies and Procedures
* Recommend, implement, and maintain the administration of all human resource policies and procedures for the company.
* Review and approve all professional development policies and procedures to ensure human resources objectives are met.
* Ensure job descriptions for all positions are legally compliant, accurate, and up-to-date.
Compliance with Laws and Regulations
* Identify and comply with legal requirements and government reporting regulations affecting human resources function (OSHA, EEO, ERISA, Wage & Hour, etc.). Monitor exposure of the company. Direct the preparation of information requested or required for compliance. Approve all information submitted. Act as primary contact with outside counsel and government agencies.
* Protect the interests of employees and the company in accordance with company human resources policies and governmental laws and regulations.
* Approve recommendations for terminations. Review employee appeals through complaint procedure.
* Provide advice and counsel to managers and management team in the resolution of employee questions related to HR policies and procedures.
* Assist in the hiring and termination of all employees.
* Assist with the execution of investigations when employee complaints or concerns are brought forward.
* Provide employment referrals and verifications.
The DHR will possess strong instincts and operational experience building an HR function in a high growth technology start-up, and must possess the proven ability to advise and guide the management team in strategic planning and execution, as well as manage results to stated objectives. The DHR must be results-oriented with strong operational, analytical, strategic planning, and problem solving skills, coupled with the ability to view HR implications from a variety of perspectives. Additional qualifications include:
* 10+ years of relevant working experience in a high growth environment, preferably with a track record of managing the HR function in a successful start-up.
* Advanced degree with an emphasis on human resources, organizational development, or other relevant discipline.
* In depth knowledge of human resources and labor related laws and regulations, and a comprehensive understanding of human resource principles.
* Strong leadership skills with experience working with a highly educated workforce.
* Excellent problem solving skills, strong verbal/written communication, and presentation and facilitation skills.
* Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, and clearly, with employees at all levels within the organization.
* Highly numerate with experience developing budgets and forecasts.
* Prior management of HR staff.
* Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite: Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
* High energy level and comfortable performing multifaceted projects in conjunction with day-to-day activities.
* Superior interpersonal abilities with the ability to get along with diverse personalities in a tactful, mature, and flexible manner.
* Good reasoning abilities and sound judgment.
* Resourceful and well organized.
* Open communication style with a strong ability to negotiate and influence.
* Collaborative and participative management style and an advocate of team concept.
* Ability to establish credibility and be decisive, but also be able to recognize and support the company’s preferences and priorities.
* Results and people oriented with the ability to balance other business considerations.
* Service oriented, but also assertive/persuasive.
If you are interested in this position, please submit your resume to email@example.com. Thank you!