Human First. At the heart of everything our client does is a fervent belief that before patients are patients, they are people. They don’t just see MRI #137, a label on a test tube, or a case of the flu. They see a mother who’s planning her child’s graduation party, a teacher with a classroom full of kids waiting for her return, and a grandpa who never misses his granddaughter’s piano recitals. What our client does every day makes a difference in people’s lives; that’s why they are passionate about caring for patients like they are family, finding new cures, using the finest and the latest technologies, and teaching and inspiring caregivers of tomorrow. Our client puts people at the center of everything they do, because they believe in medicine that puts people first.
As one of the nation’s preeminent academic medical centers, our client is committed to excellence in clinical care, biomedical research and education, and to the health and wellness of their patients and communities. A major teaching hospital for an Ivy League medical school, U.S. News & World Report ranks our client each year as a “Best Hospital” in multiple specialties. They are a fully integrated medical center providing adult care with over 6,000 diverse employees, including approximately 819 full-time staff physicians, 1,179 full-time registered nurses, and 3,600 non-clinical employees. Their focus on safe and quality patient care has helped establish them as a national leader in health care quality, safety, and transparency.
Our client is home to a renowned academic research program where scientific discoveries are helping to transform medical care; they rank third in the country for National Institutes of Health funding among independent hospitals. With revolutionary advances and therapies happening within their walls, our client is a national leader in “bench to bedside” research. They are also training the next generation of physicians. Our client has raised medical education to a higher level with a uniquely strong and deep program that enhances their ability to attract top faculty and residents.
The Director, Compensation drives the short and long term strategic direction of the compensation program for the organization and oversees the management of the day-to-day operations of the compensation team, including the design, implementation, and administration of pay programs. The Director, Compensation manages executive compensation programs, provides consultation and resources to network affiliate organizations, and maintains fundamental knowledge of other HR disciplines and their interaction with compensation.
The Director, Compensation is responsible for planning, implementing, and directing a compensation function that delivers the highest quality of service to departments and employees at all levels, ensuring that compensation is responsive, accessible, and visible to individuals and departments. The Director, Compensation will also adopt the organization’s Human First philosophy and apply it to the compensation function. Additional responsibilities include:
* Developing the strategic direction for compensation programs, including pay programs and structures, and developing/preparing policies and procedures to achieve equitable and competitive employee compensation for multiple sites, recognizing the unique needs/markets for these entities.
* Determining priorities, establishing long-term objectives, and developing a framework for compensation polices and strategies.
* Creating a total rewards infrastructure in conjunction with the Director, Benefits.
* Managing the executive compensation program, serving as the primary compensation lead for interaction with executives and board members.
* Staffing the Compensation Committee at the board level.
* Partnering with senior management in the decision-making process and negotiation of choices.
* Establishing a strategy and coordinating the development, implementation, and communication of annual and ongoing wage programs to ensure they are competitive within the industry and other markets where appropriate.
* Contributing to and supporting organization-wide strategies to support recruitment and retention, development of new programs, and the creation of a flexible workforce.
* Overseeing and ensuring consistent application of compensation guidelines, policy and philosophy, job descriptions, job evaluations, classification decisions, and non-traditional pay approaches.
* Analyzing organizational situations to determine appropriate measurement methodology and assessing the validity of data.
* Understanding and interpreting industry and market developments and trends.
* Evaluating programs to ensure customer satisfaction and quality.
* Demonstrating a team approach within HR.
* Bachelor’s degree (Master’s degree preferred) in healthcare, finance, HR, or related field.
* 8 to 10 years of compensation experience with progressively increased responsibility, including 5 to 8 years of management experience.
* Thorough knowledge of state and federal laws and regulations pertaining to compensation.
* Demonstrated project management experience.
* Proven ability to design, develop, and implement compensation programs. Any physician compensation experience or exposure in that area is a plus.
If you are interested in this position, please submit your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you!