We are seeking a qualified Benefits Specialist for a contract position with a prestigious client. The contract is available immediately and is scheduled to continue through June of 2013. Responsibilities for this role include:
* Coordinate and conduct new hire benefits orientation for lawyers and staff members. Explain the firm’s benefits programs and assist new lawyers and staff members with choosing benefits options that best meet their needs. Follow up with new hires to ensure that all questions have been answered and guide them in enrolling in web-based benefits programs (i.e. pre-tax transportation program, retirement plan, etc.).
* Enroll new hires in health and welfare plans in accordance with contract requirements. Process health, dental, and vision enrollments and change forms, premium deduction forms, and flexible compensation enrollment forms (reviewing all information for accuracy and completeness i.e. policy numbers, reason for enrollment, etc.). Process paperwork to enroll lawyers and staff members in optional life (employee, spouse, and children) insurance, group excess liability insurance, and long term care insurance. Ensure all enrollment changes and terminations are entered accurately in the HRIS so they can be transmitted electronically to the carriers. Maintain files and ensure that they are in compliance with all regulations.
* Respond to benefits related inquiries from lawyers and staff members and ensures quick, equitable, and courteous resolution. Provide continuous follow-up on outstanding benefits inquiries until final resolution. Act as a liaison between local office vendors, lawyers and staff members, and with National Benefits Team regarding benefits issues. Assist managers with benefits related issues/questions regarding their staff members, provide guidance, and identify potential issues.
* Assist with coordinating annual open enrollment. Schedule meetings, arrange for the preparation and distribution of materials, and assist in communicating changes to lawyers and staff members. Process enrollments/changes/terminations in the benefits plans and maintain up-to-date benefits plan information in the HRIS. Serve as a contact person for questions from lawyers and staff members.
* Work closely with Leave Administrator to coordinate leaves of absence and ensure that all leaves are in compliance with state and federal leave laws. Inform lawyers and staff members of appropriate policies and procedures and eligibility for various types of leaves. Administer the time and attendance process related to leaves of absence for lawyers and staff members. Enter time off for leaves into the attendance tracking system for staff members. Instruct timekeepers and their secretaries on time entries into Elite WebView for leaves of absence. Monitor status of claims and ensure smooth transition of health and welfare benefits changes associated with leaves of absence. Participate in weekly meetings to discuss the status of leaves of absence.
* Create and maintain active and terminated benefits personnel files. Update the benefits module in the HRIS including address changes, dependent status, and leaves of absence status. Run and review auditing reports from the HRIS on a regular basis and take appropriate action.
* Prepare and mail initial COBRA notices and maintain current knowledge of state and federal COBRA regulations. Assist the third-party administrator with COBRA eligibility inquiries.
* Assist COBRA and retiree participants with enrollment coverage and billing questions. Run reports and assist subscribers enrolled in retiree health with the transition to Medicare and the firm’s Medicare supplement plan. Respond to general questions regarding the firm’s retirement plans.
* In coordination with the Operations Department, ensure that suggested work place accommodations are implemented in compliance with regulations and support a healthy, safe, and comfortable work environment for lawyers and staff members. Coordinate the firm’s wellness program based on the annual wellness calendar.
* Assist other members of the department when needed. Participate in departmental project teams and task forces designed to streamline workflow and/or resolve issues. East Coast offices provide back-up benefits support for the Boston, DC, Portland, Hartford, and New York offices.
* Maintain thorough knowledge of the firm’s benefits, policies and procedures. Maintain current knowledge of trends, developments and legislative rulings related to benefits and Human Resources. Maintain current knowledge of HIPAA privacy laws and ensure protection of privacy when dealing with protected health information.
Minimum qualifications for this role include:
* Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent work experience in HR, business, or a related field.
* 3 to 5 years of related HR and benefits administration experience.
* Excellent communications and interpersonal skills to interact with all levels of firm personnel and external entities.
* Strong organizational, analytical, and problem solving skills, as well as the ability to prioritize and manage multiple assignments simultaneously with attention to detail and deadlines.
* Proficient personal computer skills and knowledge of firm software including email, word processing, spreadsheet, database, time and attendance, organizational/project planning, and HRIS software applications.
* Ability to handle and maintain the highest level of confidentiality.
If you are interested in this position, please submit your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you!