Reporting to the Vice President, Strategic Business Partner, the Benefits Manager will plan and direct the day-to-day operations of the Company’s group benefit programs. Thinking strategically and operating tactically, the Benefits Manager will apply his/her knowledge of trends and the impact on employees, fully understanding the economic implications of benefits. Key areas of responsibility include investigating and recommending new benefit programs, improving existing benefits, supervising and monitoring benefit administration, ensuring compliance with applicable government regulations, providing analytical and technical support in the delivery of the benefit programs, and managing employee events to enhance and promote company culture.
* Coordinate, communicate, and administer all employee benefit programs. Stay abreast of employment benefits trends and regulatory issues through participation in projects and surveys, vendor contacts and consultants, employer networks, and continuing education.
* Research and recommend employee benefits programs and plan changes to management by studying employee requirements and trends to enhance coverage, ensure competitiveness, and control costs. Continually reviews benefit function to recommend and implement performance improvement enhancements.
* Manage the benefits communication process, working with HR management, consultants, and vendors to draft and prepare benefit materials. Manage the process for HR compliance postings in all locations.
* Supervise first-day orientation for new employees regarding company policies, procedures, and benefits, and ensure completion of all necessary employment paperwork within UltiPro Onboarding. Ensure compliance with immigration laws through proper documentation from new hires within specified time limitations, and monitor compliance by out of state locations. Oversee coordination of benefits information for terminating employees.
* Manage open enrollment and educate the employee population on benefit plan offerings. Create open enrollment life events within UltiPro and oversee enrollment, changes, and termination activities. Create and update all life events and approval processes within UltiPro.
* Supervise one direct report in accordance with Company policies and applicable laws, including training, planning, assigning and directing work, coaching and performance feedback, and addressing complaints/resolving problems.
* Manage employee wellness programs, including Health and Benefits Fair, Flu Clinic, and CPR/AED Certifications. Develop company-wide programs and challenges in collaboration with the health insurance vendor/broker. Manage and/or coordinate employee events such as the Company Outing, Service Recognition, and Cancer Walk. Participate in and support events.
* Serve as a resource for managers and employees on FMLA and other leaves of absence in regard to eligibility, STD, LTD, return to work, etc. Resolve employee questions and problems by interpreting benefit policies and procedures.
* Oversee the reconciliation of the GL accounts on a monthly basis for benefit expenses. Assist with the management of expenses to budget and with the preparation of the annual benefit budget worksheets.
* Ensure compliance with Federal and State laws. Prepare and ensure timeliness/accuracy of government reporting for applicable benefits plans required under ERISA. Manage COBRA, HIPAA, and FMLA administration and coordinate 401(k) and Pension Plan audits (as required by law).
* Guarantee ACA compliance, including managing ACA-related modules within UltiPro system and 1094-C/1095-C government reporting. Manage all related questions and stay abreast of new regulations.
* Maintain and update benefit information within UltiPro system, including the Onboarding Module and benefit/deduction interfaces with the payroll system. Participate in the bi-weekly/monthly payroll audit process as needed. Create and generate reports via the system for benefit reconciliation, surveys, and senior management. Oversee maintenance of employee benefit files and updating of employee UltiPro records.
* Manage benefit record keeping for the Company and its subsidiaries, including reconciliations of monthly invoices and reporting for 401(k) Plan, Pension Plan, Medical Insurance, Dental Insurance, Life, Short-Term and Long-Term Disability Insurance, AD&D and Travel Accident Insurance, Voluntary Benefits plans, Flexible Spending accounts, and EAP. Conduct compliance testing for the 401(k) and Flexible Spending accounts. Prepare monthly medical expense report from the health insurance billing system, export to Excel, and create a pivot table report for reconciliation by the Accounting Department.
* Function as Safety Manager for the Company and its subsidiaries. Coordinate quarterly Safety Committee Meetings and quarterly Safety Newsletter. Act as primary point of contact for work-related injuries. File and administer Workers’ Compensation claims with insurance carrier and state. Communicate effectively with employees and medical care providers when required.
* Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university or a minimum of five years of related experience and/or training (or equivalent combination of education and experience). Certification and/or an advanced degree in benefits/compensation administration preferred.
* Five to seven years of experience in Benefits Management/Administration with demonstrated supervisory experience.
* A strong understanding of retirement plans.
* Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
* Ability to review financial statements, perform basic compensation calculations, and understand basic accounting/funding issues relative to benefits/compensation. Ability to calculate commissions and percentages. Ability to apply basic concepts of algebra and accounting.
* Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, and governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to prepare and effectively deliver/present information and respond to questions from managers, employees, customers, and individuals.
* High level of expertise with Microsoft applications (Excel, Word, PowerPoint) as well as Internet research capabilities. Ability to perform effectively in an environment where confidentiality, maturity, sound judgment, initiative, and professionalism are required.
If you are interested in this position, please submit your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.