Reporting to the Associate Vice President and Chief Operating Officer, the Executive Director (ED) leads the Human Resources (HR) & Strategic Talent Management (STM) team in supporting two internal teams, and works with both senior teams to attract quality employees, ensure their strategic engagement and growth, and guide their ongoing performance.
The ED is responsible for building a world-class talent capability to support strategic initiatives and priorities. The following key priorities will be used to establish a strategic talent management program that represents best practices in the industry: identifying and developing leaders, developing successor talent, and providing strategic direction in the processes and practices associated with the development and retention of talent at all levels.
The ED oversees the design, delivery, and implementation of programs and resources that advance the commitment of the internal teams and overall organization in belonging, diversity, equity, and inclusion. The ED supervises the HR & STM team and its members. This position is hybrid, with a combination of in-office and remote work.
- * Create an integrated strategy for talent management that directly supports the business needs of the internal teams.
- * Working with the senior teams, develop a multi-year workforce plan that builds out the talent needed to achieve their strategic goals.
- * Build a leadership pipeline and talent review process that prepares the organization for growth and improves the depth and breadth of internal talent and skills across the teams.
- * In accordance with the Equity Officer’s strategic plan for diversity, equity, and inclusion, work in collaboration with colleagues to define strategic priorities and develop, implement, and assess programs and policies to advance the organization’s commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- * Develop a core leadership and management development strategy that equips team leaders with the basic tools, skills, and process knowledge required to effectively manage their people and lead their organizations.
- * Manage an organization-wide talent review process, including development plans for high-potential leaders, management assessment, performance management, and learning and development programs.
- * Ensure that exceptional talent is recognized and that appropriate strategies are devised to retain the most promising employees.
- * Define enterprise-wide career development strategies. Assess the internal climate to create relevant training programs. Develop and roll out all training strategies to improve performance.
- * In collaboration with senior leaders, develop a dashboard of key indicators and metrics to determine progress along the way.
- * Provide coaching and mentoring to senior leaders to effectively manage their people.
- * Provide team-oriented leadership to the STM staff responsible for executing strategy and managing day-to-day operations.
- * Responsible for effective staff management, including hiring and orientation, coaching, training and development, workflow and performance management, and the development of a diverse, equitable, inclusive, and innovative work environment that promotes creativity and innovation.
- * Benchmark the compensation, rewards, and recognition practices to ensure that they support talent management goals.
- * Manage usage of external search or talent management consultants as needed.
- * Manage internal team HR budgets, working closely with Finance and Operations to stay within overall budget parameters.
- * Liaison with the central HR organization, leveraging connections and policies to help the internal teams.
- * Represent the organization in the local and national HR & STM industry networks/associations, and keep pace with emerging trends.
- * Understand the business purpose and contributions of the full enterprise.
- * Foster a culture of positivity, collaboration, and excellence.
- * Accountable for developing appropriate metrics to chart and monitor progress.
Desired leadership attributes for the ED role include manages people well; gets the most and best out of the team; sets and communicates guiding goals; measures accomplishments, holds people accountable and gives useful feedback; high levels of resourcefulness; knows how to get things done through both formal channels and the informal network; relates well to all kinds of people; makes a pleasant first impression and builds solid relationships; skilled at getting individuals, teams, and an entire organization to perform at a higher level and to embrace change; effective in a variety of formal presentation settings; commands attention and has executive presence and impact. Requirements for the ED role include:
- * Bachelor’s degree required. Advanced degree preferred, particularly in a business- or human resources-related field. PHR or SPHR certification strongly preferred.
- * Minimum of 10 years of human resources experience demonstrating progressive responsibilities, success, and expertise in talent management, assessment, engagement, and development.
- * Thorough knowledge of performance management practices. Understanding of all elements of talent management and professional development.
- * Experienced strategic leader of a successful team with proven abilities to attract, build, develop, and mentor a small to medium-sized group.
- * Exceptional communication skills (written, verbal, listening) and a demonstrated ability to confidently and effectively present, commanding and engaging both small and large audiences.
- * Sound judgment and work ethic, and the ability to think strategically and act decisively.
- * Extensive knowledge and experience in MS Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- * Proven record of accomplishment in a position requiring independent planning and efficient utilization of time and resources, including experience managing budgets.
- * Insightful and intuitive with exceptional interpersonal, relationship-building, and influencing skills.
- * Experienced in process improvements, results oriented, and holds others accountable.
- * Proven leader in a professional setting.
- * Demonstrated ability to work effectively on a senior management team.
- * Experience improving effectiveness through a commitment to building and sustaining a work environment that advances diversity, equity, and inclusion, celebrates achievements, and encourages teamwork.
Please email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org to be considered for this role.