As a thought leader, visionary, and strategic partner to the President, the Chief People Officer (CPO) will lead all aspects of the organization’s People/HR initiatives and programs while aligning the strategy with overall organizational goals and change management initiatives during a time of pivotal transformation. As a key member of a collaborative senior leadership team, the CPO will build upon the positive, engaged culture that works to assimilate the interests, talents, and contributions of employees in a high-performing and inclusive workplace. The CPO will further the mission of the organization as an enthusiastic leader, and will create professional development opportunities for the People/HR team and employees throughout the organization. The CPO must be a strong listener and communicator who is able to build and manage a team of professionals and delegate effectively. The CPO will lead change while collaborating effectively with peers and stakeholders, including finance, scientists, engineers, technical staff, skilled tradespeople, administrators, academic and educational program leaders, students, and post-doctoral fellows.
Strategic People/HR Leadership
Talent Acquisition – Lead and inspire a team that drives a leading-edge talent acquisition strategy to attract, develop, retain, and engage a high-performing workforce. Build innovative programs to promote employer branding in support of these objectives. Encourage ideas around onboarding and captivating events to appeal to a diverse, high-potential talent pool.
Talent Management – Create strategic direction and lead a team to develop and implement long-range strategic plans to build the human capital of the organization through performance management, coaching, and training and development, thus motivating individuals to achieve their maximum potential.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion – In partnership with the Chief Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Officer, lead the People/HR function as a champion of DEI and view all strategies and programs through a DEI lens. Support a data-guided approach to diversity across all ranks and align the People/HR function with the DEI initiatives, programs, and philosophies of the organization. Foster a diverse, equitable, and inclusive culture that promotes valuing differences and creates a sense of belonging.
Professional Development – Empower and lead a team that will create strategies for professional and leadership development/learning that promote an environment of employee development while creating an employer brand. Implement sophisticated Learning Management Systems (LMS) and training modules that enhance the professional development of the People/HR team and all employees. Create a culture of career development and functional learning academies throughout the organization to enhance the development of all employees and propel employee engagement and talent retention.
Performance Management – As a strategic advisor, inspire the creation of performance management programs that align with the values and mission of the organization. Develop People/HR team members to coach management to set clear, meaningful goals and objectives. Use metrics and sophisticated performance management systems/technology to measure performance.
Total Rewards – Lead the strategy to develop a best-in-class total rewards team who will enhance benefits and compensation programs to attract the best talent. Partner with the team to continuously evaluate the market to maintain competitive programs for the organization. Empower and provide resources to the Total Rewards team to design and administer all compensation programs, including incentive plans and other compensation approaches. Provide leadership around aligning and developing performance-based compensation programs to drive employee performance and engagement.
HR Systems & Compliance – Advance People/HR technologies by selecting state-of-the-art systems that meet the current and future expectations of the organization. Lead a team to manage and develop People/HR systems and leverage technology to support the achievement of strategic goals.
HR Business Partnering – Align the HR Business Partners with various departments, ensuring they are the point person for all general HR needs. Coach the HR Business Partners to develop key relationships with stakeholders from their assigned department(s). Collaborate on each HR Business Partner’s people-related needs to drive operational success for their department(s). Compare business goals and objectives to the current structure of the department(s), ensuring they have the appropriate roles and employee skills within those roles. Lead organizational design initiatives to ensure that departmental staff plans align with future needs.
- * Bachelor’s degree in Business, HR, or related field. Master’s degree in Business or HR preferred. SHRM-SCP, SHRM-CP, SPHR, and/or PHR certification a plus.
- * 15 to 20 years of experience in People/HR as a high performer, including People/HR leadership and staff management/development. Background as a change leader with success in building and transforming the People/HR function strongly preferred.
- * Excellent track record of leadership and team building that drives the development and evolution of high-performance cultures. Experience in non-profit, higher education, science, engineering, and/or technology preferred.
- * Strong knowledge of People/HR practices and procedures, including significant experience in employee relations. Current knowledge of state and federal legal compliance regulations, policies, and employment laws.
- * Enthusiastic, courageous, and energetic thought leader who thrives in a collaborative environment and has a creative, engaging, and people-focused attitude.
- * Experience leading staff to select, develop, design, and implement People/HR policies and procedures. Experience with the design, implementation, and socialization of HRIS, performance management systems, and payroll systems.
Please email your resume to email@example.com to be considered for this role.